Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dear Sam,


To grow up would be an awfully big adventure.

I always tried to rush the process of growing up. When I was younger I used to dress up in my older sister's clothes and play with her makeup and read her diary. As I got older I continued to play dress up and started to wear perfume and stay out late with my friends. But over the years my definition of "growing up" has changed many times. Perhaps it is because we never stop growing. I think growing up is realizing that no matter what age we are or how long we've been in school, no matter how many countries we've seen or how much experience we have--we are all still growing up. Growing up is admitting that nothing is static, that change is inevitable and that sometimes we must change to improve ourselves. It is figuring out how to see others' perspectives and to recognize that no person is always right. To "grow up" is to know that we never stop learning.

And as I stand here today, with a foot in each world, I am no longer a child, but not quite an adult yet. I hope that as I make this transition from high school senior to college freshman, that I will continue to expose myself to new things and take advantage of every opportunity given to me. That I will find value in my own mistakes, and be able to admit to them, learn from them and move forward. That while the law will tell me that I am legally an adult, that I am responsible and old enough to vote and buy things I don't need...

I will never stop growing up.


No comments: