Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sam,
I'd like to share with you one of my favorite Aaron Cometbus pieces: "Crash"

"I've been up all night writing songs again. But they all seem to lose their piss halfway through. What happened to you? You've changed! First you were what I thought you were, but then you turned out to just be yourself! So Fuck Off!
What happened to you? You've Changed! But it's hard to tell exactly how because you haven't written and I haven't seen you in three years. You got married! Isn't that wrong? Even though it sounds sort of good. You said, "the road between us has been trafficless for some time now." How could you say that? Especially when it's true!
Couldn't you have found a polite way to lie? Just because I'm not the marrying kind, you didn't have to go off and do it with some other guy.
What happened to us? We used to be this close! We used to try to kiss while riding bikes. We used to crash and you would slide across the pavement on your face. I landed on my hands, even worse. Without hands, I am nothing. And yet, without a face, you were still wonderful. I remember, I couldn't play pinball for a month. You looked like the Elephant Man. Even then we had different worries. I could never truly understand you.
Once I passed a piece of birthday cake to the driver of a moving car alongside mine on the way to Memphis. Another time i was handed a full beer, and another time, some very personal polaroids. None of it was as good as kissing you before we crashed."

2 comments:

to Sam, love Sam said...

ah i remember you showing me this one before

i love itt

to Sam, love Sam said...

oh dang i forgot i already showed you it, but now you have it for your reading pleasure 24/7