Wednesday, March 9, 2011

On the topic of "home" and "objects" and romanticizing everything

I don't know, I believe your home is fluid and you carry it with you in your essence and it grows and wilts and blooms again and so on as life goes on. I think physical elements can enhance a home and express and materialize a more emotional or intangible feeling of home that sprouts from belonging and comfort and identification.

Those physical or material items can be so important and special though. I don't think it is materialistic or vain to define your home by your objects, as long as they are meaningful and it isn't a matter of wealth or simply the amount of objects. I feel that objects can be absolutely beautiful and absolutely personal, especially now that I am living on my own and my possessions are truly my own. The act of holding a physical book and knowing that that book is mine and then placing it in a room that was previously anonymous, well that act alone can create a certain home. Not just the object as paper and ink, but the object as it is charged with my sentimentality and pride and excitement and nostalgia and fear and love of that book and everything it represents to me, whatever that may be. The same could go for any object, to anyone, in any way. I don't think that is shallow or materialistic. Obviously lines could be drawn, but theoretically and personally I believe in this concept.

Also at this stage in my life my main home is location, but I feel that in the future my home could revolve less around the relationship between myself and my environment and maybe my home could be mainly defined by another person and my relationship or journey with them. I don't mean necessarily falling in love or marriage or family or anything, I just mean that I believe that a person can identify not only a somewhere, but maybe also a someone as their home.

p.s. do you recognize that drawing, Sam?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is heavily accurate
also lol! where did you find that?
i drew that when i was like 16..i think
i'm gonna leave this anonymoussss