

Sam,
Today I rode into a bush and nicked my knees and brain
Today I cried to mama that my head had gone insane
I went into my house and spread the pillows on the floor
And laid myself among them so I'd never know for sure
Time cleanses livers and stomaches and washes us clean of the dirt under our fingernails. But it only rots the mind. I keep finding myself walking backwards, trying to fit the grownup arches in my feet in old footprints I thought were far behind me now.

I go out looking for astronauts. I walk slow. You might say I walk too slow. But someone once said they'd marry me because of my lack of pace. I walk even slower just to make sure. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. I make a wish and watch it swim like a fish into the sky.
I walk as slowly as I can. Avoiding the cracks. Never looking back. It is my only plan. It is my only care. Please don't stare. I know they're out there. Astronauts. Hovering. Out of sink. Above the horizon. Below the radar. Graceful. Shy. Disconnected. Watching the world from way up high.
All my friends are astronauts.




No comments:
Post a Comment